I will be more than happy to help today and thank you for being a Garmin customer.
Occasionally, satellite data can become obsolete or corrupt preventing the Edge 500 from acquiring a satellite lock. Performing an AutoLocate on the device removes all of the current satellite data and allows it to re-establish a proper connection with satellites.
An AutoLocate may also be necessary in the following circumstances:
* Device has not been used in over two weeks
* Device is powered on in a location that is 150 or more miles from where it is normally used
* Distance or speed data appears to be inaccurate as a result of a corrupt satellite signal
To perform an AutoLocate:
1. Ensure the device is powered off
2. Press and hold Lap and Start
3. Press Power
4. Release Lap and Start when the Garmin screen appears
5. Leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of twenty minutes
Edge 500 will now have current satellite data, providing a good satellite lock. This will decrease the chance of inaccuracies in distance or speed.
Please let us know if you need further assistance.